Artichokes may not look so pretty, but they add a unique flavour and texture that no other plant can add to a meal. They contain folic acid and some Vit C, so it’s worth adding them to your meals every now and then.
If you have absolutely no idea how to prepare one, or you just don’t have the time to start from scratch, no worries – you can buy tinned or bottled artichokes from most stores and delis.
Artichokes have quite a distinct flavour, so if you haven’t tried them before, have a little taste before adding it to a meal. Like it? Then start using them in small amounts in some of your favourite meals:
- Add to pasta – chop finely and mix in with your usual pasta toppings. It works very well with tomato-based sauces
- Add to grilled vegetables
- Slice and add to pizza
- Use a small amount and mix it into a quiche along with sundried tomato
- Slice and add to a tapas platter, or blend in a blender with a little olive oil and salt to make a delicious dip
- Chop artichokes very finely and mix into couscous
- Dice artichokes and mix with chopped olives, green pepper and sundried tomato paste to use as a filling for jacket potatoes, stuffed red peppers or stuffed mushrooms