Mangoes are as much a part of summer as beaches, bikinis and sundowners are.
Besides the sticky fingers, they also give you vitamins A, C and B6 as well as some dietary fibre.
Give them a go in these tasty ways:
- Mango salsa: finely dice a firm mango, ½ a red onion, 1 large tomato and mix with some vinegar and a little coriander.
- Mango and green pepper salad: So easy, so delicious. Slice a ripe mango into long thin strips, slice a green pepper into long thin strips, mix together and enjoy!
- Curry side dish: Cube mangoes and mix with tinned litchis (add a little of the litchi juice from the tin) to serve as a side dish to a mild coconut-based chicken curry.
- Mango lollies: Blend mango pulp with a little water and freeze in ice lolly moulds – makes for a quick chilled “snack” when you’re back from the beach.
- Add diced mango to a chicken and spinach salad for some moisture and flavour instead of using mayonnaise
- And just so that nothing goes to waste, use the mango skin to tenderise red meat. Place in a bowl with the meat cuts or strips, cover and leave to stand for a few minutes
You can of course make a quick trip to your nearest KAUAI store for a Mango Bang or C U Right smoothie to get your tropical fruit fix.
Images sourced from Pinterest