Chances are you’ve heard of acai berries, but you’re still not sure what they’re all about. Firstly, it’s pronounced ah-sigh-EE.
Now that we’ve got that sorted, here’s the lowdown on what they contain:
- Fibre – linked to digestive health and feelings of satiety
- Vitamin A – plays a role in eye health
- Flavonoids – these are antioxidants which help reduce cell damage by minimising oxidative stress in our cells
- Unsaturated fats
The powder, berries or the juice can be used in various meals, including
- Adding it to a smoothie made with apple, banana and a little water or coconut water
- Adding a little to your own home-made vinaigrette to add a sweet flavour instead of relying on sugar
- Making a healthy desert by blending acai powder with plain yoghurt, placing in small bowls and then topping with antioxidant rich blueberries, blackberries or strawberries
- Adding a bit to freshly squeezed juices
Head on over to a KAUAI store (visit www.kauai.co.za for updates on their fresh new menu launching across the country) and try the delicious Acai-Me smoothie (featured above).