It’s pretty easy to know when we have an injury, because we can feel or see it. But what about damage to our cells that we can’t see? This damage, called oxidative damage, is caused by particles called free radicals and it happens when we breathe, during metabolism, when we’re exposed to sun and pollution, at points of inflammation and during exercise.
Don’t be too worried, a little bit of cell damage is normal and this is where antioxidants come in. What do they do? They neutralise the free radicals and so reduce the oxidative stress on our cells.
Well-known antioxidants are vitamin C, vitamin E and beta-carotene, but there are many more and, if we eat a well-balanced diet, we’ll be getting what we need to minimise cell damage.
Some tasty antioxidant-containing foods you can tuck into include blueberries, strawberries, tomatoes, Rooibos tea, citrus fruits, red, green, orange and yellow peppers, green tea, carrots, plums, cherries and green leafy vegetables.
For your convenience – and speedy recovery – you can find them in a tasty range of items from KAUAI In Motion stores, including:
- Yoga berry Smoothie made with raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, banana and apple juice.
- Freshly squeezed carrot juice.
- C U Right Smoothie with strawberries, pineapple, honey, mango juice and 500mg vitamin C.
- Go-Goji Berry Smoothie with goji berries, pomegranate juice, strawberries and banana.
- Goji Berry Booster which you can add to any smoothie or juice.
From 1 April, you can also get your hands on two new shots at selected stores:
- The Flu Shot made with ginger juice, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and honey is perfect to help ward off colds.
- The Digestion Shot made with delicious orange juice, beetroot juice and omega-rich chia seeds.
Our bodies work hard for us. Let’s do the same for them. Choose healthy options as often as you can so that your day’s food intake is well-balanced and gives you all the nutrients your body needs to function optimally.