While meats and dairy are protein options that offer a high protein content, plant proteins are just as important and pea protein is a wonderful option for vegans and vegetarians because it provides us with amino acids- the building blocks vital for muscle recovery.
Protein also aids with feelings of satiety, helping us curb our tendencies to over eat.
Used in a powdered form, vegan pea protein has a smooth texture and a very neutral taste. It’s soluble and so can easily be used in the following ways:
- Add it to a smoothie to up the protein content if you’re not using dairy or nut milks
- Mix into vegetable tagines or vegetable stews
- Add a scoop to warm oats with a little milk or nut milk, mix well and top with cinnamon and berries
- Add a scoop or two to vegetable soups
- Mix into pasta sauces to up the protein content of your meal
KAUAI has a great new Nature’s Protein smoothie on their menu, made with pea protein, hemp seeds, spirulina blend, banana, pineapple, coconut milk, coconut water and honey. It’s definitely worth a try! Head on over to your nearest store or check out the new menu on www.kauai.co.za