Already doing as much as you can when it comes to antioxidants, superfoods, vitamins etc.? Great, you’re right on track to becoming or staying healthy, fit and strong. But what about sleep?
Sleep has a huge, and very beneficial impact on our overall health. Just as a routine in terms of eating healthy foods and exercising well has a positive effect on your health, energy levels and weight, so does a good quality and quantity of sleep.
How can you make sure you get some good shut eye?
- Try to sleep between 6 and 8 hours a night
- If you can, try to go to sleep and wake up at roughly the same times
- Keep your room dark, cool and well ventilated
- Switch off the TV, laptops, tablets etc. at least an hour before going to bed
- Try not to eat a heavy meal before going to sleep – indigestion can keep you awake and feeling uncomfortable
- Ditch high-sugar drinks before going to bed. Better yet, cut them out completely or keep them to a minimum in your diet as they give you a whole lot of calories but very little else
- Drinking warm milk? The jury is out on that one. But if it makes you feel cozy and sleepy, by all means do it!
- Exercise and healthier eating habits go hand in hand with better sleep so make sure you focus on those as well