No idea what Metabolic Syndrome is?
Here’s the lowdown:
- It’s a group of conditions that are lifestyle-related
- For it to be diagnosed, at least three of the various conditions must occur together
- It negatively affects our metabolism
- It plays a role in insulin resistance
- Insulin resistance happens when our cells no longer respond well to insulin. This results in a reduced uptake of glucose into our cells. To try and counteract this, more insulin is released but glucose is still not transferred into our cells. The result is that the balance of hormones needed for optimal metabolism is negatively affected
- The lifestyle conditions include, but are not limited to, heart disease, high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes type ll and high levels of fat in the blood.
It’s always a good idea to have your cholesterol, blood glucose and blood pressure tested on a regular basis so that you can pick up any changes sooner rather than later. And, of course, a healthy diet and exercise go a long way in keeping you healthy and happy!
Images sourced from Pinterest