Uniquely South African, our Rooibos tea is making waves across the globe. Harvested in summer, fermented and then dried, it’s high in antioxidants and naturally caffeine free. Health-wise, that makes our little fynbos species a winner all round!
If you check out sarooibos.org.za, you’ll see that about 12000 tonnes of Rooibos are produced in one year, and that a whole lot of that is exported to countries such as Germany, the UK and the USA. It has long been believed that Rooibos has many health benefits, from reducing/preventing allergies, insomnia, nausea, cramps and skin problems, to easing digestion, and playing a role in anti-aging processes. Over the past couple of years more research has been done to truly determine its beneficial properties.
There are many ways to use a cup of Rooibos tea – here are just a few that are easy enough to try:
- Use it as a substitute for some of the liquid when baking things like cake
- Use it instead of water or stock to add a different but mild flavour to your stews, soups and sauces
- Use it in your non-stick pan or wok when sautéing of stir-frying your veggies
- It’s a great meat tenderiser…use it on steak and chicken
- Make your own iced tea using Rooibos tea as the basis – add things such as lemon, cinnamon, ginger, other fruit teas, or simply some honey
- For sore throats, make a strong cup of Rooibos and add some lemon juice, cayenne pepper and honey
Still, the easiest way to benefit from this great little plant is by drinking a strong cup of tea. No kilojoules, no caffeine, no need to add anything to it – simple, easy and oh so good for you!