Onions are winners when it comes to adding flavour to meals.
Grab a few from the shelf and get chopping. Here’s how you can use them:
- Chop finely and add to stews, curries and potjies at the beginning of the cooking process
- Slice and saute in a little water along with turmeric and curry powder. Drain and then mix into cooked rice or lentils to add colour and texture
- Slice or chop red onion to add to salads, salsas or pizzas
- Use pickled onions for great flavour – simmer baby tomatoes, pickled onions, mushrooms, tender stem broccoli and some chives for about 10 minutes for a quick, easy pasta sauce
- Use finely chopped white onions to bulk up a quiche or to add a bit of moisture to couscous or quinoa
- Slice onions and cook in a little bit of balsamic vinegar for a slightly different take on caramelised onions
- And don’t forget about spring onions – they add a lovely bright colour and mild oniony flavour to potato or pasta salads, dressings or grilled fish
KAUAI has a few meals that contain onion or spring onion to bring you the delicious flavours you expect. Get your tastebuds dancing with the good-for-you Superfood salad, a tasty fresh salsa, a Princess Wrap, Princess Sandwich, Morning Riser or Chicken Melt.