It’s that time of year when everyone is diagnosing themselves with a cold, the flu or an iron deficiency. We might not all look and feel like we’ve spent a relaxing day on a golden beach in warmer climates, but feeling a little under the weather and looking slightly pale isn’t reason to pop a few pills without the recommendation of your doctor.
From your side, you can keep keep filling your plates with fruit and veggies to get all your vitamins and minerals, and don’t skip out on iron which plays a role in oxygen transport and immune function. You’ll find it in many sources including
- Meat, seafood, and poultry (including eggs)
- Breads, cereals and other enriched or fortified grain products
- Spinach, broccoli, beans, green beans, potatoes with the skin on and peas
- Dried fruit such as apricots, raisins and peaches
- Or try KAUAI’s Magma Wrap, Kahuna Steak Roll, Mexican Burrito or BBQ Beef Bowl which all contain some of the above-mentioned foods
And your mom was right…drink your orange juice with your spinach, bacon and egg breakfast – Vit C helps with iron absorption, meaning your body gets more from the food you eat.
Images sourced from Pinterest