It’s that time of year again – office parties, farewells, year-end functions, the list goes on.
Invariably, you’ll be faced with beautiful platters of delicious finger snacks, cake stands piled high with mini cakes, muffins or scones and cheese platters along with wine, beer or bubbles. So if you’re wanting to stick to healthy meal choices and appropriate portions, how do you do that?
Keep these tips in mind:
- If the event is over breakfast, lunch or dinner, treat the food on offer as a meal. When you’re full, whether after 2 snacks or 5, stop eating; anything after that is no longer satisfying and no longer necessary.
- Eat something that you’ll enjoy: Choose a few foods you really like or wouldn’t necessarily eat at home. This way you won’t feel like you’re depriving yourself of something you’d really like.
- Eat normally throughout the day. Skipping meals will make you very hungry and you’ll more than likely end up dishing way too much at the event.
- Watch out for hidden calories in pastries or anything that is deep fried. Have these if you want, but try to add some balance with fresh crudités, hummus dips and protein options such as mini chicken kebabs.
- Make sure you drink enough water – those punches and alcoholic drinks are filled with empty calories. If you’re thirsty, drink some water first and then enjoy your cocktail.
Indulging every now and then is not a problem, but if these functions are happening on a regular basis for the next two months, it will be worth your while to make healthy, smart choices.
Image from Pinterest