Quinoa has become a trendy food, but with good reason! It contains fibre, magnesium and manganese, plus it has all the essential amino acids to make it a complete protein. No wonder it’s much loved by those looking to make balanced meal choices.
Quinoa is the seed of a plant grown in the Andean region of South America, but because of the way it looks and cooks, is a wonderful alternative to rice, couscous and bulgar wheat. To top it off, it’s also completely gluten-free, making it suitable for those with gluten intolerance or celiac disease. Preparation is easy: simply rinse under cold running water and drain, bring some water to the boil in a pot, add the quinoa and cook until it becomes soft, larger in size and slightly transparent. Options are endless, but if you haven’t used it before, you can make a start and
- Add it to stews or soups as a thickener
- Use it in salads, for e.g. mix quinoa with vitamin E-rich avo, asparagus, sliced radishes and a red wine vinegar dressing
- Serve it instead of rice, wheat or barley. Add a little lemon juice and lemon zest to the water when cooking to give it a mild citrus flavour
- Have it as a warm breakfast instead of oats. Add some grated apple, toasted walnuts and cinnamon
- You can even use it in heathier desserts – try using quinoa in the crumble of an antioxidant-rich blueberry crumble.
Couscous is just one of the healthy ingredients used in KAUAI’s fresh new menu. Some new KAUAI stores, with a new look, new feel and new menu, have already launched and other new stores plus all the existing stores will be launching this new menu later this month. Go on over to www.kauai.co.za for updates and to have a look at the menu to see how this versatile seed is used to give you all the great health benefits that it has to offer!