Seeing as it is Summer in South Africa, we thought our Beach Feature should be a local one. It’s one that is so within reach!
Pemba Island, which lies in the Indian Ocean, off the coast of Africa, is an island that forms part of the Zanzibar Archipelago. This is what Lonely Planet has to say…
For much of its history, Pemba has been overshadowed by Zanzibar, its larger, more visible and more politically powerful neighbour to the south. Although the islands are separated by only about 50km of water, relatively few tourists make their way across the channel for a visit. Those who do, however, are seldom disappointed. Read more…
And if you are lucky enough to have Pemba Island in your future, here are some tips from the experts:
1. Go snorkelling off Misali island
2. Visit Chake Chake and Pemba’s museum
3. See Pemba’s flying foxes up close
4. Take your nose to visit the essential oil distillery
5. Explore Vumawimbi beach and Ngezi forest
6. Experience the island’s spectacular diving
7. Witness a Pemban bullfight
8. Visit the island’s archaeological sites
9. Find out about local voodoo
10. Do nothing at all
Read up on these tips here.
Last but not least, if money is no object, check this out…